[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- Subject: Re: Convert utf8 string to iso8859-1 (Latin1)
- From: Christian <cn00@...>
- Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 20:47:49 +0100
On 2015-02-11 20:29 Sean Conner wrote:
It was thus said that the Great Igor Medeiros once stated:
Is there a way to covert a string whose characters are encoded in utf8, to
a string with characters encoded in iso-8859-1, just using lua standard
libs? I cannot use libs with C codes.
If there is, could you tell me how to do that or even point some site with
I don't know of any existing Lua code to do this, but the concept is
1. convert UTF-8 sequence to a Unicode codepoint
2. Convert the Unicode codepoint
LARGE PDF) to ISO-8859-1 codepoint
3. Go back to step 1 if more data.
-spc (That should be enough to get you going ... )
Actually, the Latin 1 subset of unicode has the same codepoints as
Latin1. It's just that UTF-8 is a different encoding. The following
suffices to do the conversion with Lua 5.3:
local r = ''
for _, c in utf8.codes(s) do
r = r .. string.char(c)