On Monday, January 26, 2015, Ką Mykolas <kamicc@gmail.com> wrote:
pbLua[1] unofficial firmware replacement probably made an impact :}

http://hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pblua/about/

On 1/25/15, Andrew Starks <andrew.starks@trms.com> wrote:
> i didn't see this mentioned (because I may not have the correct address of
> the Where Lua Is Used page):
>
> http://www.ev3dev.org
>
> The newest Lego Mindstorm cpu uses an arm9 based processor and Lego has
> opened the firmware for hacking. These guys have a Linux distribution
> configured with a language binding interface, which uses files to
> communicate with the hardware. Any language that can open a file is
> supported.
>
> They've included Lua bindings and some test applications. Lua 5.1 is
> installed by default. I've installed Lua 5.3 and it works great. I'm
> working on setting up remote debugging with ZBS, but the version
> of luasocket installed by luarocks is not happy with 5.3, so I have more
> fiddling to do there.
>
> Anyway, the binding that they provide is very simple and therefore
> infinitely hackable.
>
> -Andrew

Perhaps. PbLua was and is an act of passion that seems to deserve a separate designation. :)

Lego opened up the sdk and put a "real" computer in ther, complete with a bootable SD slot. They also expressly hoped that by open sourcing the brains, they'd see a community of developers step forward and play.

A search for "Lego ev3" on github shows that their strategy worked.

-Andrew