> I am finding that the Lua parser/code generator is the most complex
> part of the system, as it is designed for efficiency and does parsing
> / code generation all at the same time - so a lot of clever stuff is
> going on, which makes it harder to understand as it is not very well
> documented.

Ah, the joys of open source …

By the standards of computer programs not intended for hacking
by the others, lvm.c is not badly documented. About 2.5% of its
lines are comments.

Programs written for one's boss are of course much better documented.
If you get paid per line of code, it's easier when the line is a comment.
No syntax errors.