I would recommend this either be the default or noted on the download/build instructions page.  I know you can simply add MYCFLAGS but people trying to build for a 64-bit software (like I was a couple weeks ago) might not know about this.  Just adding the line "If you are trying to build for 64-bit compatible software you will need to specify that by adding "MYCFLAGS=-fPIC" on the end of the build script.

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 5:21 AM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
> -CFLAGS= -O2 -Wall -DLUA_COMPAT_ALL $(SYSCFLAGS) $(MYCFLAGS)
> +CFLAGS= -O2 -Wall -DLUA_COMPAT_ALL $(SYSCFLAGS) $(MYCFLAGS) -fPIC

The Makefile supports variables MYCFLAGS, MYLDFLAGS, MYLIBS, MYOBJS.
In your case, just do "make linux MYCFLAGS=-fPIC".