On 11/24/2014 7:15 PM, Jerome Vuarand wrote:
That has to be eLua rather than Lua. Lua requires an operating system
(but can be compiled and run on any known platform).

This is not true. You can compile Lua for an embedded target without
an operating system. All you need is a standard C library, which many
if not all modern microcontroller toolchains provide. What eLua adds
on top of Lua is some microcontroller-oriented libraries, and specific
build configurations and patches so that Lua runs better on some
specific platforms. I'm not trying to minimize the work involved in
eLua, just fixing a mistake.

So this project might run eLua, or it might simply compile the
standard Lua in an appropriate way for the ESP8266 processor. It's
hard to tell because the firmware on nodemcu's Github is actually a
binary image, I can't find the source code (which by itself feels a
little suspicious to me).

A recent enthusiast group is [1], they have been making themselves known amongst hardware blogs lately, this are mostly Western or English speakers who want to hack the ESP8266. ESP8266 looks very hackable, 1 or 2 years down the road I'm sure we'll see a lot of amazing stuff...

Linked board/module page is from ElectroDragon's wiki [2]. I have sourced stuff from them often, they do put quite a bit of effort into their wiki pages, compared to many other vendors.

It looks like there is 248KB Flash space for user application. [1] says it uses a 80MHz Tensilica Xtensa LX3, and has blocks of 32KB and 80KB RAM.

[3] Claims Lua 5.1.4. Given the Tensilica and SDK availability, I suppose it's standard Lua 5.1.4. The developer is probably Chinese, there is a Tencent QQ group at the end of the firmware page [1]. Doesn't look like open source to me, but it's not a problem since there is an SDK and gcc available (see [2]).

[1] http://www.esp8266.com/
[2] http://www.electrodragon.com/w/Wi07c
[3] https://github.com/nodemcu/nodemcu-firmware

--