Hello

I have been using LuaInterface for a little while, I have got on pretty well with it so far until I hit this difficult problem. The documentation for it doesn't really help me much on this issue, so hopefully someone here might be able to assist please.

I wanted to add a feature where I can create timers on the Lua side with something like

timerRefNum = myAPI.createTimer(1000, myCallbackHandler)     -- 1 sec timer

then at the bottom of my Lua script I might have something like

while true do
   myApi.sleep(100) -- Lua sleeps for 100 mS while nothing much to do
end

I am not the most experienced C# coders, but the outline for this code on the C# side seemed fairly easy.

I create a System.Timers.Timer for each Lua createTimer() call and add a c# ElapsedEvent handler which then calls the associated Lua function.

After having written the C# code I ran a Lua test script with 2 separate timers firing at 500 mS and 1000 mS intervals, with 2 different Lua handlers.  This appeared to work fine and ran for 15 minutes or so before crashing. :(

Of course my solution is fatally flawed, what I overlooked was that the main Lua thread will be executing in Windows thread "x", then timer 1 fires and that C# handler will run in thread "'y", the second timer fires and that runs in thread "z"

As Lua / LuaInterface isn't  threadsafe that is what I believe is causing the crash. I am struggling now to see how I would implement this timer functionality properly and threadsafe.

Any ideas or links to similar example code snippets would be much appreciated. Thanks

Regards Geoff