On 11/01/2014 08:56 AM, Lorenzo Donati wrote:
I was just thinking of the same issue, but I wasn't sure I remembered
correctly (I stopped using MS office in favor of Open/LibreOffice almost
a decade ago!), but I seem to remember the same issue for
plain spreadsheet's function names.

Now that you mention it, yeah, i think plain functions were localized too... It was Office 97, 2000 tops, details are murky :)

Were the function names used to be saved in the file itself? IIRC
sometimes I've received an Excel file with all the function names borked
(not sure of the cause, but I don't think it was a simple locale setting
issue on
my machine).

As I remember it, it wasn't the locale of the machine, but the localized version of the Office package you had installed. There were different versions for different languages, and the macros written in one could not be run in another.

Jorge