It was thus said that the Great Geoff Down once stated:

> On Sat, Nov 1, 2014, at 02:07 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
> > > This bug[1] also breaks software using liblua on OSX10.4 (compiler is
> > > apple-gcc42 5666.3_14) - please can you fix it?
> > >
> > > [1]http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2011-12/msg00707.html
> >
> > In liolib.c, add this
> >
> > #if defined(LUA_USE_POSIX)
> > #include <sys/types.h>
> > #endif
> >
> > just after
> >
> > #include "lualib.h"
> >
>  Yes, that's one way for the end-user to fix it - but they may not have
>  the knowledge even to know where to begin looking for the problem.
> If it gets fixed in liblua, then everything that uses liblua
> automatically starts working again as soon as the new version propagates
> through the dependent software.

  I don't think Apple is supporting OS-X 10.4 any more, so you can't expect
Apple to fix the issue.  The Lua team targets C89 [1] and in a few cases,
POSIX.  They may not feel like the need to add code to support an opsoleted
operating system that doesn't follow the POSIX spec.  I also don't think Lua
comes standard with OS-X (any version) so it has to be downloaded and
installed by the end-user (or included by applications that use Lua, which
is the intended target audience for Lua).

  Also, if Apple is no longer supported OS-X 10.4, where will the updated
liblua come from?  The end user downloading and re-installing the patched
vesion?

  As much as it hurts, the industry moves on (and on and on and on).  OS-X
came out in October 2007---seven years ago.  10.4 came out in April of 2005,
nearly ten years ago.  The only company I can think of that supports
software for more then 10 years is IBM.

  -spc

[1]	They're reluncant to support C99.  Sigh.