I have a question in regards to the MIT License and the Copyright Notice.

At the end of my patch files I include a copy of the MIT Licence along with my Copyright Notice, however, where is the best place to add this to the final patched Lua codebase?

At the top of any files I add to the codebase I have the following comments:

/*
** Copyright (c)2014 FizzyPop Studios
** Released under the MIT License (see end of lua.h)
*/

At the end of lua.h is the standard MIT License with the Lua copyright:

/******************************************************************************
* Copyright (C) 1994-2014 Lua.org, PUC-Rio.
*
* Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining
{snip}

Is it considered bad form to simply patch in my copyright below the PUC-Rio one?

/******************************************************************************
* Copyright (C) 1994-2014 Lua.org, PUC-Rio.
* Copyright (C) 2014 FizzyPop Studios.
*
* Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining
{snip}

As per the license I am supposed to include the original copyright in any "substantial portions" of the software, and since I am also using the MIT license with the same terms it seems logical to simply patch in my copyright below the original PUC-Rio one.

I could just add another copy of the license to the end of my added files, though my patches do not always generate new files, and it seems odd to add multiple copies of the same license.

Most of my programming experience has taken place in the closed-source world so I do not have a lot of open-source licensing experience, hence this question!

Well, okay two questions... what is a "substantial portion" of software? As I continue to create Lunia at which point would I stop including the original PUC-Rio copyright? Not that I want to do that at all, just asking for clarification purposes.

~pmd