On Oct 24, 2014, at 10:05 AM, Roberto Ierusalimschy <roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:

>> [...] . Though I had wondered why the macros were used in the first
>> place, instead of the '%s' directly in the format string as is being
>> done now.
>
> Until 5.0, Lua used `name' to quote stuff in its messages. (You can
> still find several comments inside the code using that convention.) When
> we changed that to 'name', we decided to use the macros, anticipating
> other future changes (that never came, as usual).
>
> -- Roberto

I searched my current Lua codebase for the backtick character and found 351 instances. My codebase is still based on the work3 release and contains several related patches I am currently working on. I was using the backtick style for my comments so as to follow the existing style of the Lua codebase.

Once I replaced all backticks in the comments of my patches there were still 193 remaining backticks in comments that did not originate from me. It seems I am a pretty verbose commenter as 158 of the 351 total backticks in comments were mine, which was 45% of them!

Should you wish to update your comments to the new single quote style, a simple search-and-replace of ` to ' would work nicely!

I also wanted to say I do like the 'single quote' style better than the `backtick quote' style so I hope you do update the backticks in the comments in a future release for consistency.

~pmd