Does anybody have a recipe for recognizing that a Lua program is being executed under Windows?

Reading the "OS" environment variable does not work before Windows NT (I'm a perfectionist...).

I could open a file in 'w' mode, write a newline, close the file, read it back in 'wb' mode and check for \r\n. Requires write access, however.

Hmm... maybe I could check if arg[-1] starts with '%a%:' and/or if it contains a backslash. Would that be reliable?

--
  Enrico