Difficult to judge. While things are in motion, I tend to keep the code in a separate module. Once they settle and little further development is expected, I merge them so the main modules become standalone.
Only for small modules (100 lines satisfies that imo)

When you publish them as rocks, it's harder, because the standalone version of this small 'useless to almost everyone' module will linger around forever.

Typical for me is that I quite often 'steal' utility stuff from Penlight. In some cases the project grows and more and more code is imported, to the point that I remove it all and call Penlight as a dependency.

I think its personal, but I'm fond of standalone modules. I hate small modules that pull in everything but the kitchen sink.

My 2cts.
Thijs