Hi,

I’m the author of lua-csv [1].  It’s a single Lua file and it parses CSV.  No surprises there.

Embedded in lua-csv is a little column mapping tool that allows you to say “I’m looking for a column named ‘distance’ or ‘how far’ and in the table I get, I want it to be named ‘length’ and have the value in the column multiplied by 25.4 since I work in mm, not inches”.  It’s just over 100 lines of code.

I also have some as-yet-unreleased code for reading some other formats - notably dbf and shapefiles, and these used to use the same bit of code, until I pushed lua-csv out and decided one file was better than two.

So, module writers, any opinions on the best way to package these?

 - split lua-csv in two, with a column manager module that’s kind of useless on its own, but which lua-csv depends on, and then release lua-dbf and lua-shapfile also depending on the column manager?

 - just push them out separately all containing an initially similar copy of the same 100 or so lines of column map code?

 - some other bright idea?

Cheers,
Geoff

[1] https://github.com/geoffleyland/lua-csv