I have written lua code that calls a C library. The parameters to the C library are passed via a function call foo({str1}, {str2}). If str1 contains 5 backslashes, then in C library if I print the string, I get 4 backslashes. However, if I print the string print str1, then I see 2 backslashes.

From what I understand, Lua should be picking up one backslash for each pair of backslashes. How does Lua process the special characters?
Thanks for any inputs