I recently needed to use the 'gluas' plug-in for Gimp. The
version currently packaged on Debian and descendants
provides Lua 5.1 scripting with the current image as one's
environment, which includes some specialized functions
for image processing but NOTHING from the standard
libraries.

It was quite an interesting experience, and not entirely
unpleasant. I only gave in and built a library-enabled
version because I'm no Copernicus.[1] In particular,
I found it liberating not to have "pairs". No need to
worry about what curious keys might be present in a
table, just use the ones that should be there.

[1] His "On the revolution of heavenly spheres" contains
a full discussion on how to calculate trigonometric
functions from first principles.