On Monday, September 01, 2014 03:45:45 PM Paul Merrell wrote:
> 1. Does SILE require UTF8 input? I ask because the GTK dependencies
> suggest that it does, but the Manual says in section 2.1 that Notepad
> is an acceptable text editor for generating input on Windows. The last
> I heard, Notepad was still Unicode-challenged and older versions are
> worse.

Since Windows 7 at least, possibly Vista, Notepad has been able to read and
write UTF-8 files. Although it insists on adding an encoded BOM. Since 5.2 Lua
recognizes and skips over those three bytes.

Of course, UTF-8 shares most of the code points of ISO-8859-1, which
corresponds to Windows codepage 1252, the default in North America.

--
tom <telliamed@whoopdedo.org>