Speaking of notebook interfaces, there is an initial effort to have a
Lua backend for the Cantor [1] software, from KDE, that provides a
notebook-like interface for different backends. It provides highlight
and code completion, but no 'docstrings' yet.

It was released with KDE 4.14.

[1]: http://oproj.tuxfamily.org/math/lua/kde/2014/08/04/cantor.html

--
http://oproj.tuxfamily.org