> Today I saw a nice demo using IPython <http://ipython.org/>.
>
> IPython is actually language-agnostic and that made me wonder how
> feasible it'd be to add a Lua backend.
>It is intended to be a fully compatible
replacement for the standard Python interpreter, while offering vastly
improved functionality and flexibility.
> I found one at <https://github.com/neomantra/lua_ipython_kernel>
> but it has been abandoned.
>
> Is there any other effort on a Lua kernel for IPython or should I try to
> fork neomantra's code? If anyone else is interested in doing that, it'd
> be great too!

I have mixed feelings about this.

Pro: It would be great to have something that can descriibe itself thus:

   It is intended to be a fully compatible replacement for the standard
   Lua interpreter, while offering vastly improved functionality and
flexibility.

Neutral: It is already possible to run ipython-notebook and type
'%%script lua". That gives you the standard Lua interpreter running
in a cell on your browser. You can edit your code there and re-run it.
You have access to all of IPython's ability to store and later resume
sessions. All that a Lua backend will buy you is to make Lua the
default language and allow inter-cell communication.

Neutral: Some of IPython's convenience comes from Python
conventions we do not yet have in Lua, in particular its docstring.

Con: IPython depends on a huge infrastructure. You can see some of
   the iceberg by trying to install IPython 2.2 on a Linux 14.04 system.
   I failed.

If the Lua kernel you envisage can run on IPython 1.2.1 (which is what
I have) I'm willing to be an alpha tester.