There wasn't even a quick release of an update to 5.2.2 where this bug
was found originally, just 5.2.3 a few months later after this bug was
made public (though a patch was available to everyone willing to patch
themselves until 5.2.3 was finally released). So maybe doing a timely
updated release of the *current version* would be a first start before
bothering for the older ones like 5.1.

Also visibility of known issues seems to be a problem, it seems people
just don't check the bug page that often or assume it doesn't hold
security critical stuff that is unpatched in the download page's
latest tarball.