On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 8:06 PM, Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:

>   Good lord!  Is there nothing you don't want to change?  Yes, I realize
> that every computer science problem can be solved by another layer of
> indirection [1] but it does slow things down.

You can "rename" modules at runtime but not userdata internal
typenames -- you would have to recompile whatever defines those types.
This seems like a blindspot to me..

>   Um, you map files into memory with mmap().  You can also mmap() memory
> without a file to allocate memory.  You do one or the other.

Yes, I was thinking you could create a page-sized buffer with mmap(),
then wrap the fd in a lua_Stream -- then write to that memory with
recv() -- and be able to :read() from it in Lua -- now you're dealing
with the file type that Lua has a friendly interface to.  Not a simple
black box that is "normal userdata".  It's just sad that :read() would
create strings for you from that -- I still want to use the string.*()
functions on userdata somehow.