On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 7:25 PM, Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:

>   The issue I have with this (and I can't speak for others) is that it
> doesn't really *buy* you anthying but pointless complexity.

As I said in another post, looking at the contents of the io.stdout
userdata was just an example.  Ideally I'd want to present a buffer I
recv() into from my socket library to Lua to be used like a string --
without becoming a string -- so I can avoid reallocating for that
buffer over and over.

This discussion is kind of cycling now...