On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 3:04 PM, Vadim Peretokin <vperetokin@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd just like to throw in a point that Lua is used by a lot of
> non-professional programmers in various environments. For them, good
> defaults which achieve performance are pretty important, such as pooling of
> strings by default.

My position has changed as this thread as continued -- I am not asking
for a default.  I've been thinking of functions I might add to the
debug library to read userdata, but I cannot think of a way to trick
the string library functions to think they are operating on strings
(rather than userdata).  Currently the only method I have is to
promote the userdata into a string, and this double-allocation pains
me.