On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 2:31 PM, Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:

>  Clarification:  by "userdata" do you mean the underlying string-type
> userdata, or *any arbitrary* userdata?

I mean any userdata.  We're free to do what we want with their
contents from C, but not from Lua -- I wish we had functions available
to read and modify userdata from Lua.

>   Clarification:  by "thread" do you mean an OS thread, or a Lua coroutine?

I mean OS thread.

>   Yes, along with the registry and GC.

As far as I know, that is all referenced information under the global_State. :>

>   Personally, I never use metamethods to implement object inherentance, but
> that doesn't mean other people don't do that (they do, all too often it
> seems) so saying "few people even realize gsub has a 4th parameter" seems
> too much like self-projecting---have you done a formal survey?

I say this from my experience of watching people ask about
string.gsub() in #lua, I have not done a formal interview.  It is
quite possibly projection.