> in my opinion it would be beneficial if there was a more cleaner line
> between the absolute language core, its standard library and shelf stuff.

We try to make this distinction here when it's warranted.

We made this distinction explicitly in the past at the distribution level:
until Lua 5.0 when we had the standard libraries in src/lib and built
both liblua.a and liblualib.a. However, this was a bit confusing and in
Lua 5.1 we moved the library code to src and merged liblualib.a into liblua.a.