On Aug 11, 2014 8:38 AM, "Axel Kittenberger" <axkibe@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is IMHO another core issue the Lua team can only beat so far. That is, "you can make it all you want". At one point you want to have it at some small level to be a Lingua Franca, that is if you know Lua from WoW, you expect it to work the same way in LuaTex.
>
> Especially if people are going to use third party libraries, the "change the language yourself as much as you want" idiom is slowly halting.

There is a subset of changes which are forward-compatible. Adding "Trailing comma in arg list" does not break any existing Lua code. Any existing code with trailing commas would have not loaded due to syntax errors.

> However, if I want to use it LuaTex, which is where the issue comes from since tex.print() can have many arguments spawned over several lines, where I often run into issues because of the last argument must not have a comma. Then I'd need to recompile LuaTex. Then I'd need to tell everybody in my team, they'd have to use custom adapted LuaTex package,

On Debian, you could just patch the lua shared library. Except:

> I could also try and talk to the LuaTex people, which I honestly didn't even try, since I know already its going to be, "we are not a language design project, we're using PUC-Rio Lua as is (except the coroutines stuff they disabled).

...except LuaTex has a source-level fork. Oh well.

Why do people like MediaWiki disable coroutines, anyway?

> using different Linux distributions, some are using Windows, so I'd need to change MikTex too...

I think your particular syntax fix is possible with token filters. It might be worthwhile to lobby for that general patch.

Jay