I've been reading Programming in Lua third edition (excellent book by the way!) and the section about Coercions in Chapter 2 (Types and Values) mentions that the authors of Lua today believe that automatic coercions between numbers and strings are maybe not such a good idea, and recommends not using them. He also says that these coercions add complexity to the language.

Is there any plan to remove these from the language at some point? It would allow the authors to simplify the language, as well as remove the possibility yet another type of user error. I understand the removal process involves deprecation as a first-step, but I also understand that Lua is not afraid to break a little backwards-compatibility now and then for the sake of simplifying the language.

-Steven