On Sat, Jul 05, 2014 at 12:41:19PM +0200, steve donovan wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 9:16 PM, Carlos Pita <carlosjosepita@gmail.com> wrote:
> > standard function calling syntax & semantics plus some lambda shortcut
> > like | ... | could go a long way in the direction of implementing
> > custom control structures or language constructs, without requiring
> > macro support at all.
>
> I appreciate this point as well;  although I went to trouble to get
> LuaMacro right, I no longer believe that ad-hoc syntax extension is
> appropriate for code shared with other people[1]. I'm also a fan of
> the |...| syntax that's enabled with GSL Shell - the author's
> rationale is that it makes interactive experimentation less verbose.
> But there doesn't seem much chance of it making into mainstream Lua.
>
> Another approach is to use a different but consistent notation for Lua
> programs, for example Moonscript - this has a lightweight function
> syntax. Together with the very low precedence of the call operator
> this makes it an excellent candidate for implementing DSLs.  It
> compiles to straightforward Lua and so access to the Lua ecosystem
> (and LuaJIT) is straightforward.
>
> For instance, defining a function is straightforward:
>
> sqr = (x) -> x^2
>
> Table sorting (note the low call operator precedence)
>
> table.sort t, (x,y) -> x.name > y.name
>
> You could argue that this isn't Lua any more, but then neither would
> be any customized dialect... one sacrifices the syntactical simplicity
> of Lua for a gain in expressiveness. [2]
>
> steve d.

I never understood DSLs which did little more than add syntactic sugar and
some object management automation. The last DSL I wrote for Lua was an
event-oriented, declarative language for a mail server. Using a simple
declarative syntax which wrapped small blocks of plain Lua code, I could
easily introspect the filtering code to optimize execution of events
including automatic short-circuiting, parallelization, and conflict
detection. And the declarative syntax made it incredibly easy to define
rules which previously had grown (over a decade of feature accretion) into a
horrendous mess of parameters and configuration tables.

When I think of DSLs that's the kind of power I see; not the ability to code
more efficiently in the exact same paradigm. That's a ton of effort and
expense for comparatively little return.

Depending on one's preferences I can understand the desire to tweak various
elements of Lua. But if someone is just tweaking things so they can more
easily implement precisely the same solution, just a little more
elegantly... I don't get that.