  Hi Wendell,

  You can send directly to me the segfaults in LED. This occurred only in
Linux or in Windows too?

  I don't know about IUP instabilities but indeed it is not a strait forward
configuration. But let me explain why.

  In terms of distribution, Windows is a much more simpler environment. A
simple executable may usually fits in many systems configuration. In Linux,
it is not the same thing, and it stands for any applications, not just IUP
based ones.

  I know 3 possible approaches (again for any application, not just a IUP
based one).

1- provide the source code of everything and let the user build the
application. Many apps are distributed in this form.

2- distribute your app from an app repository, providing packages like  RPM,
Debian, LuaRocks, and LuaDist. For the user point of view this is the most
simple one. For the developer p.o.v. is not as easy, especially for RPM and
Debian.

3- provide pre-compiled binaries for the most common/popular Linux
distributions.

  Unfortunately I don't have time to build RPM nor Debian packages.

  Thanks to the folks at LuaDist, IUP is available there. I think that their
procedure means that the user will install LuaDist, and LuaDist will
download the necessary packages and built them for the user from source code
at the target machine. It is one option.

  The precompiled binaries at the IUP download files assume that they will
be used as approach no. 3. The distribution we assume is Ubuntu. If your
distribution is not Ubuntu then you should have the problems you described
in your e-mail. If the distribution is Ubuntu, and matches the one described
as where we build the binaries, then installation should be very easy.

  If you are assuming naive users, then I guess you can assume also that
they will install a Linux distribution simple and easy as Ubuntu. Then you
will only have be worry about the different Ubuntu versions as we did. So
the download page for you app you have a link for Windows and several links
for each Ubuntu version (the last 3 or 4 more recent versions). And you may
also consider building 32 and 64 bits versions too. This is another option.

Best Regards,
Antonio Scuri

Finally, I'm
> finding that occasional LED calls cause segfaults (different things in
different
> releases).
>
> So, the first thing I'm looking for is a detailed description of
everything that
> needs to be done to get IUP working on an arbitrary Linux distribution.
>
> Second, I'd appreciate your advice on the general usability of IUP on
Linux.