On Thu, Jun 5, 2014, at 11:39 PM, Thijs Schreijer wrote:
> > ... I'm having
> > trouble with IUP on Linux. The first problem is that it demands only
> > specific versions of linked libraries.
> >
> > So, the first thing I'm looking for is a detailed description of
> > everything that needs to be done to get IUP working on an arbitrary
> > Linux distribution.
>
> I think Peter Drahos has included IUP in the LuaDist repository, so maybe
> you can find some clues there? (cmake based)
>
> See http://luadist.org/

Thanks for that link. I downloaded the IUP module from the repository
and looked at the cmake and dist.info files. They actually didn't
indicate much other than immediate dependencies, so I downloaded the
source packages from Tecgraf and inspected the build files there.

The bigest problem I'm having seems to be due to the static linking in
the Tecgraf binaries. There was some discussion here:

The way I interpret this is that the majority of the time, Linux users
have to compile their own IUP binaries for each system they want to
install it on. That completely rules out distributing my programs to
users who can't compile their own.

On another matter, I think a program ought to be able to find its own
libraries if they are in the same directory. Forcing you to always set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH seems like bad planning to me.

There may be other problems with IUP on Linux, but I can't tell because
I've tried several releases and haven't gotten any working properly.

I've looked a lot for reports of people happily using IUP on Linux and
only turned up expressions of frustration. It seems that IUP is seldom
used on Linux, because it is difficult to build and configure. That's a
shame, because I've been really impressed with it on Windows.