On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 9:15 AM, hasufell <hasufell@gentoo.org> wrote:

> That completely destroys the idea of distribution-level security.

I certainly have sympathy for this/you -- I'm one of the ones who
approaches Lua as a general-purpose scripting language.  That is just
not its focus... I wish it had a broader use, but 'upstream' has done
the expected for its purpose.  You as a maintainer/packager are at the
mercy of the users who use/embed it. :-(

If anything, I'd like to see the stock interpreter `lua` be modified
into both a shared library and an executable (similar to busybox).
That way liblua could remain separate and linked statically as has
been historically expected.  I think the `lua` embedded example is
under less restriction, since it is just an example?  Afaik, to make a
shared library function as both a library and an executable you just
add a main().

(sorry bro)