Am 22.05.2014 15:13 schröbte Roberto Ierusalimschy:
Am 21.05.2014 23:44 schröbte Eric Wing:
Yes, I'm in the same boat. I'm just binding against other libraries
and don't necessarily control the API. And incidentally, SDL is one of
the libraries, but I discovered a bunch of unrelated libraries I'm
using have this same problem. And all the edge cases seem to keep
coming back to 2 extremes...fix GC or 100% manual management; a blend
of the two keeps causing me new edge problems.

I'd strongly suggest to fix GC -- dangling pointers and resource
leaks are so un-Lua-like ...

What would be the bug to be fixed, exactly?

Improving Eric's code so that it doesn't crash and/or leak resources when Lua finalizes the objects in the specified order (AFAIC) or even better: in any order.

-- Roberto

Philipp