Thank you for all the responses. That clears a lot up. Thanks for
mentioning the lua_close case too. That insight was also valuable.

So I went with a luaL_ref/luaL_unref workaround which solves
everything but the lua_close case.

I had the idea of iterating through the _G table and setting all the
references to nil and forcing garbage collection before close, but in
testing, I noticed there were a lot of local "global" variables in use
in my programs which I can't reach. Any other ideas along these lines,
perhaps using the debug library?

Thanks,
Eric
--