It can be minimized;
Clone the lua52 modified code ( https://github.com/Tieske/lua52/tree/windows_friendly ) then do

make mingw
make install INSTALL_TOP="c:/program files/lua/"
set PATH=c:\program files\lua\bin;%PATH%

That’s all for Lua to be up and running. All that is left to do is to persist the change to the path after a reboot. It won't get much simpler than this.

Then download luarocks and do;
install /MW /LV 5.2 /TREE "c:\program files\lua\"

And any newbie is set to use Lua and a fast number of Lua and binary modules with the least amount of hassle. 5 lines, 1 variable and everything works as expected...

> >> Are
> >> you using MSYS by any chance? It seems that plain MinGW doesn't have
> >> `rm` or `install` executables (or a `mkdir` that understands `-p`), so
> >> you really have to work hard to make the install target work for MinGW
> >
> > Iirc, some on the list use TDM as well.
>
> So, I assume TDM includes those programs?!

I don't know TDM

> >> Also you should probably avoid GNU make features or you will break the
> >> Makefile for some Unixes. And I think you are missing some `.exe` file
> >> extensions in the modified install target.
> >
> > Which then? (Note that lua and luac do not need the .exe extension when
> building)
>
> Also when installing? Does `install` copy `lua.exe` if you just say `lua`?

It works, give it a try.