> > I don't want to make any defaults, I don't want Windows to look like unix.
> I totally agree with everything you say, but....
> >
> > It's impossible to NOT have a default, and as long as we get one along
> with the Lua package, can we at least make that one work out-of-the-box?
> >
> > Have a look here [1]. I put the proposed changes in a github repo. The
> changes do not hurt anyone, but they do fix the default Windows behaviour.
>
> What default Windows behavior? Are we still talking about the install
> target of the Unix Makefile that also happens to work for MinGW?

I should have called it the MinGW target probably.

> And it
> seems you *do* want to declare that behavior the default on Windows.

I don't care. Really not. It's just that it is the easiest way to make a "predictable" Lua installation on Windows, using either some GCC variant or the MS tools. If you call it "defining default behaviour" on my behalf, also fine, I also don't care about that. What I do care about is consistency and ease of use for newbies.

What alternative would you suggest that works on Windows, using any of the available toolchains, doesn't require a lot of upfront fiddling to build, nor a lot of afterwork to relocate files, fix paths etc. ?

> Are
> you using MSYS by any chance? It seems that plain MinGW doesn't have
> `rm` or `install` executables (or a `mkdir` that understands `-p`), so
> you really have to work hard to make the install target work for MinGW ...

Iirc, some on the list use TDM as well.

> Also you should probably avoid GNU make features or you will break the
> Makefile for some Unixes. And I think you are missing some `.exe` file
> extensions in the modified install target.

Which then? (Note that lua and luac do not need the .exe extension when building)