Though I'm on Windows, and think the proposal could work, I also would probably stick with my current setup to have complete separate Lua installations for different versions (5.1 and 5.2 currently), each with their own module trees (LuaRocks trees) and its own LuaRocks installation.
There is some overlap, but it makes it easy to keep things separate. Mixing will probably cause some severe troubleshoot headaches down the road.

My 2cts
Thijs