I found this new application of Lua relevant to post here:

  http://developer.amd.com/community/blog/2014/05/06/acmlscript/

  ACML 6 is introducing a scripting language into the library for the
  first time.  It is named ‘ACMLScript’, but it is currently based
  entirely on the Lua scripting language.  Lua was chosen for ACMLScript
  based on its strong reputation as an excellent embed-able language,
  its light footprint and its performance.  The tasks that we currently
  foresee using a scripting language are easily and quite naturally
  represented by the Lua language and its concept of tables.

(ACML is the AMD Core Math Library, a library of "useful mathematical
routines optimized for AMD processors".)

-- Roberto