On May 14, 2014, at 12:11 AM, Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:

It was thus said that the Great Tim Hill once stated:

On May 13, 2014, at 11:01 PM, Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:

It was thus said that the Great Coroutines once stated:
On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 9:48 PM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:

But while it stands, it is a magnificent structure.

Er, I am in direct disagreement.  I'm saying the characters in the
UTF8 standard (the only one I care about) are organized in categories
but not function.  Whitespace is not together, punctuation is not
together, and it's not easy to convert between cases as easy as it was
in ASCII.  It would have been organized better, but it wasn't -- we
could have avoided these mappings, but it's done..

But I can say the same of ASCII---the control characters aren't together
(don't forget DEL, at code point 127) and punctuation is all over the map.
ASCII just happens to fit easily inside the most commonly used addressable
unit.

Well now, there is a *very* good reason for DEL being at 127 .. and only
old-timers like me (and maybe Dirk) would know it :)

 Don't misunderstand me, I know why it's that way too (he says, as he grabs
the nearest hole punch).  I was just pointing out that in ASCII, not
everything was grouped together.

 -spc (Now, where did that paper tape end up?)

Well I’m glad you’re brave enough to admit it! :)

—Tim