On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 4:56 PM, Coda Highland <chighland@gmail.com> wrote:

> I mildly disagree. While I agree that Unicode isn't perfect, I think
> it HAS successfully addressed the goals it set out to accomplish. In
> my opinion and experience, Unicode is better than any extant
> alternative.

It's nice that in ASCII you can do simple range checks on the
codepoint to find out if something is a control character or numeric
or alphabetic.  It's very easy to go from lowercase to uppercase and
back.  We don't have that convenience in UTF8/unicode.  I'm not even
sure if it could be done like ASCII, but I feel like things were
poorly organized for programmers -- while it made sense for everyone
else to group math symbols together or diacritic marks, etc.