On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 10:46 PM, KHMan <keinhong@gmail.com> wrote:

> Done by committees of cultures who are sort of competing with each other.
> And then there are the pressure groups... What did you expect? ;-) We had a
> good laugh at some of the new Unicode glyphs here on the list some time
> ago...

I get it but I don't get it.  You'd think they would consult the
programmers when trying to engineer something like this.  I was just
thinking how it'd be difficult to arrange character sets so they can
be easily transformed from lowercase to uppercase and back -- for
something like a-z to A-Z this is easy, but because certain characters
are used in many languages there would have to be repeats within the
standard to make this 'efficient'.  Things really should have been
organized in codepoint ranges going by character class, not character
~category~.  The encoding form makes sense, the way it is organized
does not :(  Mapping tables blow and so does the rest of the world
speaking languages that aren't common anymore ~

ISO 8859-1 is nice <3 "Extended ASCII" -- for when I don't give a flip
about unicode :-)