> This seems to be a problem with the C library in Open Watcom 1.9 and
> not a Lua problem but I wanted to mention it here just in case
> anyone else runs into it.
>
> [...]
>
> This lua was built with gcc:
>
>     Lua 5.2.3  Copyright (C) 1994-2013 Lua.org, PUC-Rio
>     > =tonumber('  ')
>     nil
>
> And this lua was built with Open Watcom:
>
>     Lua 5.2.3  Copyright (C) 1994-2013 Lua.org, PUC-Rio
>     > =tonumber('  ')
>     0

Many thanks for the report.

That is the main reason we do not pack the standard tests with the Lua
distribution; several libc's out there (and, sometimes, compilers) do
not pass our tests...

(Not long ago we had a problem where pow(2,3) were not exactly 8. VS
cannot convert double to unsigned correctly. We already had problems
with 'strtod', where the implementation accepted "." as a valid number;
and so it goes...)

-- Roberto