* On 2014-05-02 21:22:27 +0200, Pablo Musa wrote:

> Hi everybody, I am doing some research about memory problems in Lua,
> more specifically on memory waste due to objects that will never be
> used again. My idea is to create a library to help "memory leak"*
> detection in Lua.
>
> In this research I would like to first analyze some real problems and
> then propose a solution.

Can you elaborate on what kind of problems you are looking for?

I have written a few somewhat large (>30k lines) Lua applications over
the last few years, ment to run 'indefinitely' in embedded environments,
and I have never found any signs of leaking memory in Lua.

Every time I found these applications were leaking memory, I had myself
to blame because of lingering references to objects which I should have
cleaned up.

(Maybe the only exception is the case that Lua does not automatically
shrink tables when elements are removed, but I've learned to work around
this by forcing a rehash of the table when memory is tight)

Ico

--
:wq
^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C