On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 9:55 AM, Andrew Starks <andrew.starks@trms.com> wrote:
> Are you guys just messing with me now? :) This must be your subtle way of
> saying, "knock off the proposals..."

Not at all!  We're just wandering off the topic in the usual lua-l
way, returning to the old theme of being a bunch of cats who can just
barely agree that a:method() is a method call.[1]

As for the proposal, Lua 5.2 makes it easy to link in extra libraries
statically. Add some source packing and analysis and I get luabuild
for making custom executables[2].  But that's just a project from one
cat.

The nice thing about the stock Lua makefile is that it's pretty
straightforward - if using something that looks like a Unix compiler.
Now I could try and get some traction around the idea of doing
luabuild without the Lake heresy but it would frankly be less
interesting and less general.

[1] I agree with Phillip that function Class:method() end creates a
method 'method' if 'Class' is supposed to be a 'class' but again,
tastes differ.
[2] it could also be rigged to generate custom shared libraries by
extending srlua, but I don't know if there's sufficient need.