On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 4:43 PM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:
> that way. I think it is a useful idea, but not useful enough to
> justify working with a patched Lua.

Well, this is Lua - everyone has the right to work with a patched Lua
closer to their needs. The question is whether it's a useful idea for
core Lua.  GC pressure is indeed a big thing when you need to keep
things tight, although whether full userdata is actually a major
contributor to excessive allocation is another question - this is
something that only real benchmarks can tell us.

Personally I'd tend to making the raw C/C++ pointers more self-aware
myself - e.g. with llib every pointer has hidden type information and
reference count.   But there are a zillion other ways to peel this
avocado....