Eike: > Personally, I don't know what light userdata types are good for anymore.
Ross: > The problem for me with light userdata is that they are typeless

Light userdata is designed for one situation only: interfacing with C
packages someone else has written that do their own memory management.
That should, in the case of a properly
written package, include some kind of type management. All you can do
with them in Lua is to assign names to them and pass them to C
functions.

Peng Zhicheng's suggestion is for something intermediate between light
userdata (typeless)
and full userdata (individually typed), and the motivation is that one
can save some overhead
that way. I think it is a useful idea, but not useful enough to
justify working with a patched Lua.