I tend to get annoyed with const when I'm just making bindings to
something and the function I'm binding to may change over time (bad
authors).  Also when I am writing an intermediate function that really
shouldn't make any assumption over whether a passed argument is const
or not and I get warning about losing qualifiers.  I feel like any
decent compiler would do a better job of tracing where data is used
immutably or not, otherwise it just gets in the way.  If we go the C++
route we just pretend everything is immutable and make as many copies
as we need, heh :-)