to my knowledge in most "big" OS, there are already libraries for handling Unicode semantics. I'd like to propose to let Lua do the UTF-8 encoding matters, and use a (probably OS-specific) glue library to refer the Unicode semantics to the underlying OS. This library may e.g. be named "unicode" to avoid name clashes with utf8.

There is no sense in re-inventing the wheel.

-- Oliver