On 11/04/2014, at 11:57 am, Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:

>  Thanks.  Wow.  Okay.  That is quite significant.
>
>  I also like that you profiled before changing the code.

Yeah, well... “luajit -jp” is a sampling profiler, not an exact profiler like luatrace [1], so it gives time spent but not execution counts.  So I failed to notice that the real problem was that things were getting called far more often than they really should have been.

Once I again I got taught that it’s a good idea to understand a problem before you try to fix it, but once again, I probably won’t learn.

[1] https://github.com/geoffleyland/luatrace (I wrote it).  Unfortunately it's slooooow and doesn’t work in JITted code.