On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Dirk Zoller <duz@sol-3.de> wrote:
> Is there is a good technical reason for this truncation?

It is in a very important part of the VM, and any extra work at this
point is going to slow the usual case down. (By how much, I don't
know.)

Personally I don't see why your second-choice solution  'local a,b,c =
tracker:at(1)' is so bad or so inefficient.  It at least has a clear
meaning from context, which is the essence of my criticism.  I would
personally have grave difficulty reading code using the suggested
multi-return __index.