On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 4:58 PM, Ousmane Roland Yonaba <roland.yonaba@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

I have been following this discusson with a growing interest, and I would just like to humbly share my point on the topic.
My major is hydraulics. I am using Lua to write simple applications / demos / various implementations to illustrate fluid dynamics concepts when teaching students.  Although hyperbolic functions do not seem to be widely used in general, they are used a lot in my field, especially when it comes to study flow field, divergence, circulation, etc. And I am pretty much convinced that, out there, even in games, hyperbolic function can be useful, moreover if one wants to model physically-accurate phenomenons.

That said, I won't be bothered that much if those functions were removed. After all, I can quickly implemented them using those algebraic equivalence[1], or use Taylor Series expansion[2]. But being forced to do that would be a bit repetitive, and boring. And no, I would not appreciate that much having to require an external module to access to some feature I already know how to implement by myself.

So, I vote for keeping hyperbolic functions in the standard math.lib.

On the other hand, math.pow can be removed, since the exponentiation is available. I was not using math.pow, anyway.

Kind regards,
Roland.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbolic_function#Standard_algebraic_expressions
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbolic_function#Taylor_series_expressions

>On Thu, 3 Apr 2014 17:35:33, Roberto Ierusalimschy <roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:

> We are considering removing some functions from the standard math lib,
> either because we think few people use them or because they are trivially
> implemented without the library. The current list is this:
>
> - sinh, cosh, tanh: (They are quite specialized, on par with several
> other functions offered by external libraries, such as lhf's mathlibx.)
>
> - deg, rad, pow: trivially done without the library.
>
> Comments?

Regards,
Roland Y.

<3 Mr. Pathfinder <3