Math/physics guy chiming in. The hyperbolic trig functions are easily
implementable in terms of the exponential but I think they are still
useful. However, I think the thing that is missing from this entire
conversation is an explicit explanation for the motivation behind
removing the functions as stated. What is the tradeoff exactly?

Personally though, I will say that I hate degrees in general and
completely in favor of removing deg/rad and slowly ridding the world
of this arbitrary 360 nonsense once and for all :D